Carteret County, North Carolina was formed in 1722 out of Craven County. It is named in honor of Sir John Carteret, who later became the Earl of Granville and one of the Lords Proprietors of North Carolina.
Native inhabitants of the area were the Iroquois-speaking Tuscarora Indians. The Tuscarora Nation lived between the Neuse and Pamlico Rivers in eastern North Carolina. As early as 1706, white settlers of Huguenot, German, Scotch-Irish, French, and English descent arrived in the region. Most had migrated southward from northern American colonies rather than from Europe. Also, in 1721 Quakers from Rhode Island came in family units and settled on the north side of the Newport River.
Beaufort, Carteret’s county seat, is the third oldest town in North Carolina. It was first known appropriately as Fishtown because the fishing industry was and has been an important part of the county’s history. Beaufort was later named for Henry Somerset, Duke of Beaufort.
The largest plantations, given by grants or purchased, were in the central and western parts of Carteret County. Large land owners included Robert Williams, William Borden, and the Stanton family. Unlike other parts of North Carolina and Virginia, no large pillared houses were constructed in the county; the Williams’ plantation home, for example, was brick and plain.
Carteret County participated in global trade almost from its beginning. Plantations produced goods such as tobacco, grains, and salted meats and fish to export to England. Lumber was also a major export due to the area’s vast forests. The most significant commercial industry was naval stores--tar, pitch, rosin, and turpentine.
Portsmouth and Beaufort served as the county’s major ports. Ships landed in Portsmouth, and workers transferred cargo to smaller boats for transport to the mainland. However, as its depth decreased, Portsmouth harbor declined as a port of entry, and the town was abandoned.
Formal education was not a priority for the early settlers of Carteret County. Most children were preoccupied with working on the farms. Wealthier families usually sent their children outside the colony for advanced training. In the community of Hunting Quarters, however, the Scotch-Irish established the area’s first school; it became the first accredited high school in the county. The first Anglican Church in Beaufort, St. John’s Parish, was organized approximately in 1724. However, the increasing opposition of Baptists, Quakers, and other denominations contributed to the decreasing number of Anglicans in Carteret County.
Carteret countians have witnessed war in their backyards. Many served in the Revolutionary War, and naval skirmishes occurred in the county’s waters. Constructed between 1826 and 1834, Fort Macon was the site of a major battle during the Civil War. On April 25, 1862, Confederate troops surrendered the fort, and the Federal Government used Fort Macon as a prison following the war.
Although most of the settlements were developed prior to the Civil War, Morehead City
was not established until 1858. It started as a railroad town and eventually attracted tourists. Today, tourism has replaced agriculture and exporting as Carteret County’s largest industry.
Heritage of Carteret County 2 Vols. (Carteret County Historical Society, 1982).
By Carteret County Historical Society,
Related Categories: Transportation
, Colonial North Carolina
, Business and Industry
Related Encyclopedia Entries: Arthur Dobbs (1689-1765)
, Edward Vail (1717-1777)
, Edenton Tea Party
, Bunker Hill Covered Bridge
, Robert Howe (1732-1786)
, William Hooper (1742-1790)
, Watauga Association
, Cross Creek
, William Richardson Davie (1756-1820)
, Alfred Moore (1755-1810)
, Principles of an American Whig
, Stamp Tax Protests (Wilmington)
, Sons of Liberty
, Non-Importation Movement
, Merchants Committees of Inspection
, The Justice and Policy of Taxing the American Colonies in Great Britain Considered
, Provincial Convention (1775)
, John Alexander Lillington (c.1725-1786)
, Richard Dobbs Spaight (1758-1802)
, Archibald Maclaine (1728-1790)
, The Great Seal of the State of North Carolina
, Philip Alston
, John Penn (1741-1788)
, The Test
, Port Act
, Cornelius Harnett
, Thomas Burke (1747-1783)
, David Fanning (1755-1825)
, William Richardson Davie (1756-1820)
, Polk County (1855)
, Lincoln County (1779)
, Gaston County (1846)
, Randolph County (1779)
, Edgecombe County (1741)
, Guilford County (1771)
, Battle of Guilford Court House
, Chowan County (1681)
, Pamlico County (1872)
, Nash County (1777)
, Battle at the Mouth of Sandy Creek
, Battle of Plymouth (1864)
, Granville County (1746)
, Battle of Moore's Creek Bridge
, Rutherford's Campaign
, Royal Governor William Tryon (1729 - 1788)
, Tryon Palace
, Royal Governor Josiah Martin (1737 - 1786)
, Battle of Cowan’s Ford (February 1, 1781)
, The Battle of Ramsour’s Mill (June 20, 1780)
, Fort Dobbs
, Moyano's Foray (1567)
, Fort Clark
Related Commentary: Edenton Tea Party: An American First
, When Wilmington Threw A Tea Party: Women and Political Awareness in Revolution-Era North Carolina
, Revolutionary Characters: What Made the Founders Different
, 1771 Alamance: The First Battle of Our American Revolution
, Defending Liberty From The Bench
, Defending Liberty From the Bench
Region: Coastal Plain
Carteret County is named for Sir John Carteret, Earl of Granville and a Lord Proprietor of North Carolina. Image courtesy of the North Carolina Collection, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill Libraries.
Fort Macon in Carteret County, constructed between 1826 and 1834, was the site of a major Civil War battle. Image courtesy of the North Carolina Office of Archives and History, Raleigh, NC.
Men weighing cotton in Beaufort, one of Carteret County's major ports. Picture taken circa 1915. Image courtesy of the North Carolina Collection, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill Libraries.
A windmill on Harker's Island in Carteret County. Image courtesy of the North Carolina Collection, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill Libraries.